Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Toss the fris man



I have a lot of hobbies. There’s stuff that I just like to do, can’t help it. Doing stuff isn’t the issue. The cost of doing stuff is, however. I had a paintball addiction for awhile and believe me paintball is not a cheap sport. The guns cost a lot of money, the clothes cost a lot of money, the paint costs a lot of money. I would burn through $80 of paint in one night of playing easy. So I quit. Too expensive. And I moved on to mountain biking. Expensive to get started but cheap to maintain the habit. All good. Well Natalie and I have been trying to figure out something we can do together besides snowboarding. Golf has come up a few times and we think it would be a fun sport to learn. But given my addictive proclivities, I can see myself getting totally obsessed with golf and blowing a lot of cash. So we have been reluctant to pursue a golfing habit. Last weekend we found a compromise. Cody and Beth invited us to go play Frisbee golf. Now I’ve been familiar with Frisbee golf for some time. To me it sounded like a sport for hippees and burn-outs, and it is. But those hippees and burn-outs sure do know how to have a good time.



We went to a course above the University of Utah and played nine holes. It was a blast. For the unfamiliar, Frisbee golf is exactly what it sounds like. Golf with a Frisbee. The holes are actually posts with chain baskets that you try to toss your Frisbee in. Cody and Beth gave us a lesson on how to properly throw the Frisbees and how to best approach each hole. By the third or fourth hole, Natalie and I were getting the hang of it. At the end Cody and Beth gave us each a driver and a putter disc and we are planning to go again soon. I’m trying to find a course near Bountiful. Frisbee golf is perfect for us, it’s cheap, near-by, fun, and it’s outside. So this is a hobby that we can get behind.

2 comments:

Jared and Cassie said...

Haha that is hilarious guys! I want to go frisbee golfing. But the reason I am writing is to advocate you guys learning REAL golf! Me and Jared go all the time, and now that we're moving down to Utah.... we were just discussing if there was going to people to go with. So learn! We can get all decked out in our snazzy houndstooth golf outfits and hit the links together! :-)

Jared and Cassie said...

PS to the better acquainted frisbee golfer... it is known as FROLF.