Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Grandma Bee


Berniece Ruth Koonce September 28, 1924 - September 6, 2009


Grandma Bee passed away from pancreatic cancer on sunday morning, Sept 6th. Its still weird to say that she has passed away. I am happy though because she gets to be with Pa and is pain and health complication free. I knew this day would come, but it was still a shock. I was very close with my grandparents and when you are growing up its hard
to picture everyday life without them. They were my second set parents. They loved us so much. I was very blessed to have such a great grandma.

The funeral was beautiful. It was at Glen Abby in the Rose Chapel. It was very peaceful and uplifting. All of the family participated in the service. We all got up and talked about our most favorite memories of her. It was really cool. These were some of the things I talked about:

- Grandma Bee loved cards. She spent hours with me playing cards. She loved poker and was great at it.
- I loved eating lunch at their place. I always made a turkey sandwich with real meat from the deli. She always made sure I had tons of avocado and I had cheese in my sandwich. We would then watch Perry Mason in the living room.
- She loved to bowl. Michelle and I would go to the bowling alley with them on Fridays when we were out of school and Grandma Bee and Pa were watching us. They bowled with the Elks Lodge league. Michelle and I later joined a league and they bought us balls and shoes which we both still use.
- Eating out was something we were spoiled with. They used to take our family out for dinner quite a bit. I was always prompted/allowed to order a Shirley Temple which is still one of my favorite drinks. One thing we always waited for w
as for her to complain about the food . . . it was never quite right. Sometimes is was embarrassing, but mostly comical. Those poor servers. She had to have water with no ice and black coffee (and not the Starbucks kind as she would say).
- I think I developed my clothing obsession from my grandparents spoiling me. They would go to the Navy Base and buy bags full of clothes for me and Michelle. I would get so excited when I saw them at the door with all of the new pretty clothes. I was probably only 2 or 3. We would have fashion shows and Grandma Bee would laugh and smile.
- She was a proud Emblem Club member. She rec
ently got her 40 year pin and was very proud to show me.
- She was a jewelry queen. She always wore beautiful jewelry. She was amazing at matching and always looked so pretty. She taught me too always look my best in public and I thank her for that.


Wyricks and the Koonces after the funeral.



This picture was taken the last time I was able to spend with her. It was my birthday and it was the best present to get to see her one last time. I will miss my grandma very much, but I know she is with Heavenly Father. It is part of the plan. We come here to earth to experience the joys and trials of life and then we go to heaven to do greater things. I am very blessed to have had such a wonderful grandma and friend.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

So sweet. It made me laugh reading about her complaining in restaurants. My grandma does that every time, too! There's not enough carrots in the soup. Why would they put hot water with lemon in a glass? The waitress had an attitude. And then she swears never to come back and always does. Haha!

Natalie Ormond said...

ha ha. If your grandma and my grandma ever went out to eat together they would have had matching complaints and then would have gotten the waitress fired!

Stephanie. said...

I am sorry for your loss but happy for your positive spirits. My thoughts will be with you. I hope your family is doing well.