Thursday, July 31, 2008

The rise of the Temp!

As stated in the previous post, I have been offered a fulltime position at McCann. I’m pretty stoked about it. The position isn’t exactly what I had in mind, but I’d rather be a salaried proofer than a copywriter hopeful. The whole thing is pretty surreal actually. The guy that hired me made it clear that the position wasn’t a dead end. He told me that people get maxed out in positions and need to move to other things and that was totally ok with the agency. And today one of the art directors I sent my portfolio to here at McCann came over and told me he liked my portfolio. He told me that proofers get a lot of over-flow writing assignments and all I needed to do was ask to be included. He also said that a lot of the current writing staff started as proofers. So that is really encouraging.

Advertising is a volatile industry, but I’m pretty sure Micorsoft, Verizon Wireless, Exxon mobile, and GM will continue to advertise so I think I’m pretty secure. Last night I slept better than I have in a long time. I always had the nagging suspicion that I wouldn’t have a job in the morning. But my mind is at ease now that I have an actual salaried position. We can pick up our plans again, which is fantastic. We are looking at houses again and are hoping to be in a new domicile sooner than later. Things are good. I’m super excited to be working fulltime again and to be able to think further in the future than next week.

And for the record, yes my situation is not dissimilar from that of a certain famous (now infamous) Pennsylvanian temp. He enjoyed a meteoric rise to the big time with a new office and airbrushed 5 O’clock shadow. I’m not going to say I’ve experienced meteoric success (Yet. I’m coming for you Steve Jobs!). I have, however, been given a new desk; interpret as you will (in your face Dilbert!). As for the 5 O’clock shadow, come on I’m an Ormond, I eat 5 O’clock shadows for breakfast (so does my razor). I’m going for the solar-eclipse-on-a-leap-year-shadow. Or if I dare (and I do) the center-of-a-theoretical-but-empircally-proven-blackhole-shadow (so that’s why all matter is attracted to my face). Anyone want a cheesy quesadilla? I’ve got one cooking in the microwave right now…oh man!

3 comments:

Hilary said...

You're a regular Wooly Willy!

Kylie said...

That is awesome! I'm so happy for you! Maybe you'll be able to get me a job next time things take a turn for the worse...:)

LinnieBell said...

i don't know if you've seen the billboards around here that have the huge octopus on them, but every time that i pass by one, i automatically think of your blog!

i so wish you could have been at the show! it was so slow! also, the famous mr. lance came by our booth and i purposely went out of my way to introduce myself and told him we were school friends! he kinda chuckled (yes, chuckled) and said something like, "yeah, she's rad. we keep her pretty busy!" can we play sometime soon?? maybe a "girls only" get-together type-of-thing???