Sunday, March 28, 2010

2010 Food in America


This past year I have been more aware about what I put into my body. Since I don't drink or do drugs my awareness has been about what food I'm consuming.

I have recently watched Food, inc. I recommend it to anyone who eats and buys food.
In Food, Inc., filmmaker Robert Kenner lifts the veil on our nation's food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly that has been hidden from the American consumer with the consent of our government's regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA. Our nation's food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment. We have bigger-breasted chickens, the perfect pork chop, herbicide-resistant soybean seeds, even tomatoes that won't go bad, but we also have new strains of E. coli—the harmful bacteria that causes illness for an estimated 73,000 Americans annually. We are riddled with widespread obesity, particularly among children, and an epidemic level of diabetes among adults.
from: www.foodincmovie.com

The documentry was very informative. Finding out how much control the government has with food and the large companies that control our food is pretty alarming. It's disgusting/sad the number of obese Americans. It's estimated that 1 in 3 kids will now have diabetes. How horrible!

I'm not saying I eat the most nutritious food or that I eat great 24/7, but I try my best. I eat normal proportions. I don't eat dessert very often. I rarely drink soda. I don't over eat or snack constantly. I don't eat food when I'm sad. I don't eat something just because its "there." I have a hard time understanding people with bad eating habits that won't change, even when their life depends on it. I just don't understand the rise in obesity.

I caught an episode of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. He is a chef from Britain on a mission to revolutionize how americans eat.

In the six-part series, Jamie heads to Huntington, West Virginia. Why? Well, Huntington has been called the unhealthiest city in America. Jamie wants to do something about that. Through his efforts in this one town, he hopes to start a chain reaction of positive change across the country.
from: http://abc.go.com/shows/jamie-olivers-food-revolution/about-the-show
He went to one house and cooked everything the family would eat for the week in one setting. It was sick. The deep fryer was used in every meal. It was a huge heap of beige food. No green. No red. No color, but beige. Luckily the family wanted to change what they were eating. All family members were over weight. It kills me when little kids and teenagers are obese because I believe it is the parents fault for letting it happen. They buried the deep fryer outside and thew out all of the junk food.
Hopefully Americans will start eating right. If America doesn't, more people will die earlier and I don't think people will be living their lives to the fullest.
Ultimately life is all about choices. You can choose to make something healthy at home or drive to Micky D's and get yourself a big mac. You can choose to eat a suggested serving size or you can eat 5 times that amount. Everything in moderation, right? Don't be lazy. You and only you are in control of your body. Your body is a temple. God, only gives you one body. Treat it with respect, use self control and eat right. Teach your children how to eat right too. They will thank you later for giving them the gift of a long happy life.
This was a bit of a rant, but it's something Josh and I have been discussing. Please don't take offense to any of this. I know life is busy and it's not practical to always eat healthy. You can choose to eat however you want. However I stand behind eating healthy and eat in moderation whenever possible. I am lucky to be skinny. I almost always have been, but I believe it has a lot to do with what I eat. I'm so very thankful Josh and I's parents taught us both how to eat healthy. I'm so glad we are both on the same page about eating habits.

No comments: